Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Early September Update

Well, it's been just a little over a month now in my new studio, and it's coming together nicely. Every day that I'm in there, it feels more and more like 'my studio' and not just some weirdly-shaped office/storefront. It is so nice having my own designated creative space, but I definitely miss my artist friend (and his amazing family) at my old work studio. 


I have to admit, though, the best part about my new studio is that it's only two blocks away from this. (Yep, I feel pretty lucky.)
A lot of things have happened since the move, too. I took a collection of pieces to a beautiful art gallery up in historic Folsom City (just east of Sacramento on 50) called Fire and Rain Gallery. They have some really phenomenal artists in there, so I'm feeling pretty flattered that they accepted my work at all! I brought them a few of my big statement rings and some more of my simpler pieces. I am in anticipation to see how they all do up there. Fingers are crossed that every piece finds a new and completely stoked owner!

Also, my fall dance classes have all started, so among all my kazillion jewelry projects I constantly have on my plate, I am teaching 7 different classes a week at various studios here in the area. I've got a pretty diverse group of students to keep me on my feet, too. Choreographing warm up exercises secretly happens while I'm taking a breather from too much sawing or my hands hurt from filing!

I also decided to re-work my website and in fact re-do it almost completely. Before, it was created and hosted on Wix, a flash-based website builder, but I've been totally unimpressed with so many different aspects of it that I decided to try a different route. Low and behold I discovered I had iWeb on my mac this whole time! iWeb is so easy to use, I put it together in less than three days. It's still not completely finished, but it's a constantly evolving project anyway. Make sure to check it out! What do you think? 


Anyway, since lots of you have been asking for them, I figured I'd share some more pictures of the studio and it all coming together!

Cleaning! Mess equals stress as my old boss used to say.
Started off with a clean slate. Well, okay, mostly clean. The space is a weird double hexagonal shape with windows on almost every wall. Kinda neat, but also kind of like working in a fishbowl.
See? Clean, empty slate!
Front doors to the studio.
My work bench and design table.
Design table with new fancy homemade bead rack.
Signage. (Also homemade. Having little to no money forces one to be creative.)
Well, many more things need to be added, like the perfect jewelry display cases. It's all a work in progress. Just like everything! Hope you liked the pictures. If you're around, come stop by and say hello! 

Erica Freestone 
Handmade Artisan Jewelry
157 Grand Ave. Suite 109
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
www.ericafreestone.com

Much love and many wishes for creativity,
E




No comments:

Post a Comment